The Maryland Agricultural Resource Council (MARC) is hiring a Managing Director. It is based at the Baltimore County Center for Maryland Agriculture (Ag Center), 1114 Shawan Road, Cockeysville Maryland. In addition to providing access to a working Maryland farm, MARC offers a number of educational outreach programs and activities for all ages.
Managing Director Job Description:
In general, the job description for the managing director is as follows:
Looking for a creative person to coordinate existing education programs and to design new ones to attract youth and families to the agricultural center. The managing director will provide professional planning, coordination, management, and oversight services as directed by MARC’s board chairman, president, or their designees. The managing director does not teach the programs but creates and coordinates. Largely, the responsibilities of the MD are:
- Programs – Assist in the development, oversight, and management of the organization’s outreach programs.
- Office Management – Develop and implement office management operations and protocols that utilize the coordinated efforts of staff, volunteers and contractor services.
- Communications – Assist with and oversee the development and dissemination of communications related to MARC and MARC partner programs and events.
- Collaborations – Conduct all services in collaboration with the Ag Center owner’s representative, the building tenants, and MARC’s leaders, volunteers, interns and contractors.
- Funding – Assist MARC chairman and Development Committee chair with developing and securing financial support for the organization and programs. This includes grant writing and management.
- Leadership – Assist MARC’s Officers, executive committee and Board of Directors as may be requested and appropriate.
- Duties as Assigned – Provide other services as assigned by the chairman or the chairman’s designees.
- Bachelor’s degree in communications, business, biology, education, or related field.
- Experience in website construction/maintenance and effective use of social media helpful.
- Familiarity with agriculture and environmental issues helpful but not required.
- Thirty five (35) hours of service during a 5 day week (Sunday through Saturday) and occaisional work on weekends as programs require or as otherwise approved by the MARC chairman.
- The managing director receives 14 total paid days of leave annually including the following national holidays: New Year’s Day, Memorial Day, Independence Day, Labor Day, Thanksgiving and Christmas.
- There are currently no health, retirement or other leave benefits associated with the managing director position.
**Please send Cover Letter and Resume to firstname.lastname@example.org**
Now Accepting Applications for FARM CAMP DIRECTOR
MARC/Farm Camp Details:
The Mission of MARC is to enhance the rural economy and foster conservation of agricultural and natural resources through educational and technical services.
To further that mission, MARC organizes two weeks of camp: Week 1) 8-10 year olds, Week 2) 11-13 year olds.
Farm Camp sows the seeds of responsibility, respect, community, and stewardship. Participants expect to have a hands-on farm experience learning about planting and harvesting vegetables, bees and honey, bunnies, goats, horses, feeding and caring for animals, farm equipment and more. While there is a focus on farming, campers will also have a well-rounded camp experience participating in activities like arts and crafts, games and nature exploration.
Farm Camp Director Responsibilities/Duties:
- Responsibility is to lead two week-long sessions of farm camp as well as planning theme camps, leading tours, and working in our gardens and farmyard. Campers come from a variety of backgrounds and ages (8-13years). Camps should focus on daily farm chores, hands-on nature exploration, garden and cooking activities, and camp favorites such as songs, games, and crafts.
- Amongst specific duties, the Camp Director is responsible for creating a cooperative, supportive, and educational working environment with other interns and farm staff.
- Creation of hands-on education about agriculture, local habitats, and the value of manual labor.
- It is imperative to create intellectually challenging experiences for farm campers.
- Experience with animals such as chickens, goats, sheep, horses, and bees is preferred.
- The Director should possess significant experience in the production and implementation of youth programs – Ag-education experience preferred.
- Preferred: Experience with current hi tech and computers used in growing healthy crops and growing healthy livestock, soil testing, drones on farms and ranches
- Preferred: The Director should possess an understanding of modern food systems and how sustainable agriculture, the consumption of locally grown food, and responsible land use can support a healthy society.
MARC is always looking for potential interns.
Roles may include, but are not limited to:
- Social Media
- Take, edit and post pictures, news, and video to Instagram, Twitter, Facebook
- Website management
- Putting programs online
- Updating calendar
- Online Ticketing System (Xola)
- Setting up programs
- Troubleshooting issues
- Mass emailing
- Program Updates
- Phones when a volunteer is not in the office
- Paperwork – small tasks such as donor communications, filing, stage requests…
- Program management (Xola)
- Setting up programs on ticket management service – troubleshooting customer issues
- Developing relationships to implement programs (speakers, demonstrations, workshops…)
- Sourcing partners to help fund or implement
- Audience development – partnerships
- Any and all tasks related to helping our programs run – online management as well as helping program leaders get set up and implement programs
“Trail Blazer” Project:
- Setting up signs across the park to coordinate with information on the website so that attendees can learn about agriculture, and what’s going on on our farm
Soil Conservation Video Project:
- Create educational video about soil conservation, waterway project which is currently ongoing
A program of your choice!
- If you’re interested an agriculture related program, please let us know, and if it fits within the mission, we’ll do everything in our power to make it happen.
If you are interested in any of these responsibilities, please send a note and a resume to us at email@example.com